Tuesday, November 8, 2011

This is a lovely blog and an awesome goal list

A Lovely Life List

Link to Making it Lovely

A Lovely Life List

Posted: 07 Nov 2011 07:16 AM PST

This isn't a bucket list. These aren't things I need to cross off before I die. Will I ever accomplish everything here? Probably not, but that's not the goal. This list exists simply as a collection of things I would like to do in my lifetime. If writing them down helps me focus, and in turn helps me achieve some of them, the list has served its purpose.

A life list should never make you feel guilty for not accomplishing something! It should serve as a compass, opening you up to experiences that you may have discounted otherwise. A few items have been crossed off (and a few new ones have been added) because I started this list last year, inspired by Maggie. I hadn't shared it until now, but my hope is that by sharing this publicly, I may hold myself more accountable and achieve more. I tend to do well with public lists.

Experiences

  • Live in another city for a year
  • Spend a week without electricity
  • Take an extended vacation
  • Host a traditional Thanksgiving dinner
  • Shake the President's hand
  • Have a completely natural labor and childbirth
  • Go sightseeing on a Vespa
  • Teach a craft project to a group of kids
  • Karaoke in front of a crowd
  • Attend a costume party in a costume I've made myself
  • Raise chickens
  • Host a baby shower
  • Organize an event
  • Surprise someone in a big way
  • See a tree that I've planted grow to maturity
  • Keep a houseplant alive for at least a year
  • Grow tomatoes from seed
  • Try fencing, complete with the proper gear
  • Be completely debt-free (mortgage included)
  • Help build a home for charity
  • Take belly dancing lessons
  • Hit a home run

Sights

  • Look out over Paris from the Eiffel Tower
  • Cross the Brooklyn Bridge
  • Cross the Golden Gate Bridge
  • Visit The Farnsworth House (Mies van der Rohe)
  • Visit the Robie House, Fallingwater, and revisit Frank Lloyd Wright's home and studio here in Oak Park
  • Take the Chicago Architecture Foundation's River Cruise
  • Step out on the ledge of the Willis Tower Skydeck
  • Cross the Canadian border, eh
  • Visit Brunelleschi's dome
  • Visit Japan when it's pink with cherry blossoms
  • Have a cheesy photo taken of me holding up the Leaning Tower of Pisa
  • Tour the country in an R.V.

Just Plain Fun

  • Make a dollhouse for Eleanor
  • Picnic in the park
  • Finish a paint-by-numbers painting
  • Ride a roller-coaster with my hands up
  • Wear a ridiculous hat to an event
  • Dress up with friends for a showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show
  • Experience weightlessness
  • Drive a school bus
  • Write a song
  • Beat the classic Super Mario Bros. game
  • Learn how to solve a Rubik's cube
  • Wear a sequined dress to a party
  • Serve homemade cheesecake to guests
  • Coin a phrase
  • Turn a perfect cartwheel
  • Have the Thriller dance in my repertoire

Family

  • Have another baby
  • And another
  • Make a video montage of Eleanor's first year
  • Make a video montage of August's first year
  • Hear Eleanor say "I love you"
  • Hear August say "I love you"
  • Take Eleanor to American Girl Place to pick a doll and have tea
  • Take Eleanor to high tea at the Drake
  • Take August to some equally "boy" events (rodeo? demolition derby? monster truck rally? I've gone to all three.)
  • Take the kids sledding
  • Visit a state fair as a family
  • Give the kids a tour of my favorite paintings at the Art Institute of Chicago
  • Cart the kids around town in a cargo bike
  • Take the family to Disney World
  • Go roller skating with Eleanor and August
  • Have an adorable family photo taken
  • Have a new adorable family photo taken (the family has expanded since the last one)
  • Celebrate my 50th wedding anniversary
  • Read Charlotte's Web with Eleanor and August

Home

  • Paint every room in my house
  • Paint all of the trim in our house
  • Live in a house with a lovely entryway
  • Make every room in our house exactly as I'd like
  • Gut an old fixer-upper house and completely remodel it
  • Make the outside of our house as cute as the inside
  • Make a fairy garden for the kids
  • Have a library with a rolling ladder
  • Hang a real painting above the sofa (not a print)

Style

  • Only wear lovely undergarments
  • Ruthlessly edit my closet down to only my favorite things
  • Determine a wardrobe's essentials, then buy them in the best quality I can
  • Find my perfect shade of lipstick
  • Sew a dress for myself that I would actually wear
  • Wear perfume regularly again

Skills

  • Learn how to yodel
  • Identify twenty constellations
  • Learn how to use my camera in manual mode
  • Earn a belt in a martial art
  • Perfect my turn stop on skates
  • Play the guitar
  • Drums
  • Ukulele
  • Learn to swim
  • Read 100 classics
  • Have a conversation in French

Professional / Career

  • Publish a book
  • Be a keynote speaker
  • Have a monthly column in a magazine
  • Collaborate with someone on a kick-ass creative project
  • Start some sort of creative movement (like a chain letter but more fulfilling)
  • Meet Martha Stewart
  • Meet Jonathan Adler
  • Redesign Making it Lovely
  • Launch a magazine
  • Sell my designs through a nationwide store
  • Art direct a photo shoot
  • Name paint colors
  • Design wallpaper
  • Judge a design competition
  • Create a proper portfolio for myself
  • Mentor somebody
  • Launch my decorating service
  • Decorate someone else's home from top to bottom
  • Make enough money to support my family
  • Make an appearance in five forms of media (book, magazine, television, radio, internet)
  • Have my home featured in a Domino-like magazine

Projects

  • Take a photo every day for a year
  • Start a tradition
  • Choose a good cookbook and cook every recipe in it
  • Give only handmade gifts for a year

I fully expect this list to change as time goes on.


• You may also like these related posts from Making it Lovely:

  1. Revisiting the 30 Before Thirty List
  2. 30 Before Thirty
  3. The Wish List


© 2011, published by Making it Lovely as A Lovely Life List | 18 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home